A Brief History of Hebron Ohio...
Hebron, the sixth town laid out in Licking County, is located
on Route #40, the "Old National Trail" an extension, in 1834, of the
historic Zane Trace.
Laid out in 1827 by John Smith, it became an important link in the
Ohio Canal System. This sometimes raucous canal town, with it's
tanneries, sawmills, warehouses and distilleries was for a time a busy
market place, and was known to pioneers of the day as a center of
agriculture and industry. It became in reality "Hebron—Historic Crossroads
of Ohio", today's slogan for the Village of Hebron.
The completion of the National Trail brought on another era, in which stagecoaches,
prairie schooners bound for fabled west, and riders on horseback, all
came through Hebron, sometimes to spend a night at the Inn, one of which
later became known as the Myers Hotel.
Years of decline came at the turn of the century, when a disastrous fire
destroyed most of the business district, bankrupting many villagers.
The coming of the Ohio Electric "Interurban Cars" in the early 1900's
brought prosperity to the community for over 30 years, but with their
passing the town fell back to lethargy.
In 1935, negotiations for the water system began, and pumping to 84
customers started in 1937. Legislation for sewers and enlarged water
facilities began in 1952, becoming operative in 1964. The system was
enlarged again in 1983 and 1989 to serve well over 700 users.
The Village is governed by a Mayor and Council. Village Administrators
operate the Public Works, Water and Water Reclamation Departments. Protection services for the
community are provided by local police, an emergency squad, and a long
established Fire Department. The community is served daily
by the Newark Advocate, and weekly by the Buckeye Lake Shopper
and the Buckeye Lake Beacon.
Now Hebron, in the last quarter of the twentieth century, is well on the
way to a secure future with several large firms within Hebron, and a
population of approximately 2000. Strategic location, adequate water and
sewer services, churches, schools, library, banking and shopping
facilities, are all proving attractive to large corporate occupants of
the Newark Industrial and Mid-Ohio Parks to the north. Access to
Interstate 70, the arterial freeway destined to carry traffic coast to
coast, "without a traffic light" is another major location
Our country's Bicentennial year 1976 brought the development of Canal Park in the center of
the village, and the development of the Canal Park complex has been completed with two lighted
softball fields, picnic shelters, a gazebo and a playground. Since that time a new park area
has begun to be developed through grants from ODNR due to the beautiful wetland is Evans Park
now having three little league fields, one Baseball field, football fields, soccer, Family
picnic and Playground area, Jogging/Walking Trail, dirt bike track and Basketball Courts.
Active organizations in Hebron include the Mutual and Civic Improvement Club, the Hebron
Business Association, the Lion's Club, the American Legion and Auxiliary, Hebron Historical
Society, Boy & Girl Scouts, 4-H Clubs, Masonic Lodge, and Fifty Five Club for senior citizens.
The Village of Hebron also keeps an active membership with the Buckeye Lake
Chamber of Commerce as well as the Licking County Chamber of Commerce.
This web site is just one example of the
efforts that the Village of Hebron is making to provide quality service to it's residents and
to respond to the constantly expanding search for information by people not only in this
community and the United States, but around the world. We'll be adding more pages and
information so please visit again. Feel free to sign the guestbook or fill
out our info request form. We extend our BROCHURE to
anyone interested in our community!